So I made a new friend here in Philadelphia, and he likes to go by @EricSmithRocks! Social Media Manager for a small publishing company in Old City called Quirk Books and co-founder of the oh-so-awesome Geekadelphia, Eric is a fellow creative and Philly go-getter! We met for the first time to have a casual happy hour at King’s Oak (their sweet potato fries are to die for!!), followed by some browsing at vintage store Jinx, and ending with a mini-photoshoot in the Piazza. Overall, it’s been great connecting with Eric and I hope to learn A LOT from his Jedi ways.
Not that I attended before, BUT I just got a ticket to this burgerlicious event (thanks Alya!) The Third Annual Philadelphia Burger Brawl will be held on Sunday, May 5, 2013, from 3:00-6:00 p.m. at the Fleisher Art Memorial, located on 719 Catherine Street in South Philadelphia. Twenty-four of the city’s top burger chefs compete to see which burger is the best and over 700 attendees are expected. Marc Summers will emcee the event in 2013. Here’s the lineup:
Um…YUM! Stay tuned for some photos after the event from yours truly!
I’m so happy I stumbled upon the Levo League’s Philadelphia Chapter the other day. Here’s the gist of it:
“Levo League is a growing community of professional women seeking advice, inspiration, and the tools needed to succeed. At Levo, we are working toward our vision of a future where there is no income or achievement disparity between women and men across industries. Our mission is to create a trusted community of young professionals who are invested in supporting each others’ success in game-changing leadership positions.”
Amazing right? I attended their most recent event titled “#Ask4More” tonight and loved the open discussion women from all backgrounds and careers had about salaries, the male/female disparity when it came to income levels, and how to negotiate and ask for a raise. It felt like an AA meeting for women inspired to be better, work better, and do better in all aspects of their life! A few great key points I took away from the conversation are as follows:
- Figure out how you are going to navigate your own path and career. You have the control, so steer your career in a way that you’ll be happy and satisfied with in the long run.
- Try to depersonalize the subject of money when asking for a raise. It’s tricky to do, but necessary at times when it comes to discussing it with your peers/co-workers/bosses/etc.
- One of the main reasons women rarely negotiate or discuss a salary raise is because of fear and a lack of confidence. These are both hurdles we need to overcome to really be valued at our jobs.
- Being assertive and confident will never set you back in the wrong way. It’s the type of mentality that we all need to move forward in our careers and lives! You’ll gain more respect for speaking your mind (appropriately, of course) than never saying a word at all.
- In order to be where you want to be in life, you need to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.
- Be your boldest self. There are risks to being in that mindset, but there are also higher rewards!
- If you’re too shy to or nervous about talking about a salary raise, try and discuss a growth plan with your boss. “In __ months/years, I want to be making $__. What are some steps I need to take to get there?” This will show your higher management that you’re in it for the long run, and that you’re willing to work your way to the top!
Anyway, I could go on and on about what I learned from #Ask4More today! I’ll leave it at that, and have you enjoy the following photos from the event. And oh yeah, JOIN LEVO LEAGUE HERE IN PHILLY! Ok, no more caps but you get the picture. This is one community that you WANT to be a part of.
Hey everyone! Quick question – have you heard of the Poshmark mobile app? If not, here’s a little visual guide to help educate you!
Sounds pretty cool eh? Poshmark (download the app here) is a community of fashionistas across the country who can use the mobile platform to sell and buy their clothing. It’s a great tool to use when you’re too busy to drop off your clothes and accessories to Goodwill or need some extra cash for items in your closet that you haven’t touched in ages.
Also, if you are looking more to purchase items rather than sell on Poshmark, then join a Posh Party on their website for a virtual, real-time shopping event dedicated to specific brands or themes. And hey, you can also shop my own closet by visiting my Poshmark page!
To celebrate the success of this fun app, Poshmark is coming to Philly this upcoming Tuesday! The details are below:
- Where: Le Meridien Philadalphia, 1421 Arch Street, 19102
- When: Tuesday, April 23rd, 7-10:00pm
- Blogger Co-Hosts – Moi, Jessie of Trend Hungry, Jacqui of Burgundy Whispers, Lexy of Beauty Fash and Chaucee of Streets & Stripes
- Party Theme: Spring Fling!
- Join & Earn Credit: Join Poshmark and get a $5 credit using code HMHND. This is valid for the first 10 people, so join asap!
The #PoshParty is going to be a ton of fun, so make sure to RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 22nd! I’ve been thinking a lot about what I should wear to the party, and I finally found the perfect Spring Fling-themed grapefruit colored dress to wear below by Jessica Simpson! I made an inspirational moodboard to go alongside an image of the dress (you know, to hype me up pre-party), so take a look at it below and start getting your outfit ready too!
<Images via Bridal Guide, Nordstroms, Completely-Coastal, The Life Styled and Pinterest>
Let me know if you’re coming to the Poshmark party in my comments section, as I’d love to say hello! Hope to see all you fabulous readers there, and don’t forget to follow Poshmark on Twitter, Instagram, and like them on Facebook. :)
I had some free time today and decided to take a few photos around one of my favorite Philly neighborhoods, Northern Liberties! Enjoy the photos below, but more importantly, enjoy the beautiful spring weather!
As part of the awesome Philly Tech Week, here’s an awesome event being hosted at the Philly.com offices on 8th and Market on April 24th. Here’s the blurb and make sure to register here (the event is freeeeeee!):
Are you toying around with the idea of looking for love on the world wide web? Maybe you’re an experienced OK Cupid veteran with a story or two to share?
On Wednesday, April 24th join co-founder of Geekadelphia Eric Smith, author and Shmitten Kitten blogger Anna Goldfarb, and online dating expert Erika Ettin as they host an evening of witty personal story telling and advice for those interested in the world of internet dating during.
Are you going too? Let me know in the comments if so!